Your face is the first thing people notice about you, and skin is human beings’ largest organ. I’d like to share ways to keep your skin looking young, healthy and smooth with my top 5 skin care tips:
- Unless your hands are impeccably clean, avoid touching your face as much as possible. Our hands have grime and bacteria on them and when we touch our face, it transfers and can cause blocked pores and other non-desirable skin conditions. Clean your cell phone and bridge of your nose daily for the same reason.
- Drink at least 8 oz of water a day, more if it is hot, if you sweat a lot, or if you are breastfeeding. Every part of you will benefit from enough water, especially your skin. Being thoroughly hydrated will slow down the skin’s aging process as well.
- Don’t smoke, and if you do, quit. Aside from being bad for your health overall, smoking will also cause you to appear older than you, will dry out your skin and increase wrinkles.
- Use SPF lotion on your skin daily (and re-apply!) Do this even if you are not planning on going outside. UV rays come from some overhead lighting, through windows and computer screens too. This is one of the best ways to prevent skin aging, but it also prevents skin cancer! (Just remember to wash off the sunscreen at night.)
- Don’t over exfoliate. When you exfoliate, you stimulate new collagen production and promotes new cells to produce faster (think of when you were in your early 20s). Gentle exfoliation can also help keep pores clean and prevent blackheads from forming. If you exfoliate too much, you will also shed those healthy new cells which are your skin’s natural barrier to all of the pollution, bacteria etc.